Is your PC unexpectedly acting up by slowing down your work to your utmost disappointment? The issue might be with Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry and it’s high CPU usage. This is a Windows 10 specific service that has technical info on the working design of Windows gadgets and its related software. The information sent out to Microsoft helps to boost user experience. It discovers potential issues and fixes them efficiently.
If you discover that the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is triggering high disk usage on your Windows 10 PC, you need to discover a solution to remedy this problem. Of the different brand-new functions in Windows 10, telemetry data collection is an important one. It helps to gather all user information and sends it to Microsoft. This function was presented to boost the user experience.
While there is significant debate over how much data collection breaches user personal privacy, there is likewise a more considerable issue that users have with the telemetry feature. The telemetry process can consume an increasing amount of disk area, which decreases other applications that operate on your system. Many users have actually reported that after a Windows 10 update, they establish storage problems. So, here is a guide for dealing with this Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry issue.
What is Telemetry Data?
The Compatibility Telemetry function from Microsoft is a Windows 10 service feature. It contains technical details related to the way all gadgets work under Windows and the related software application.
The details collected consists of data connected to frequency an application is utilized and which functions are utilized, in addition to system diagnostics, system files, and other associated metrics.
The service sends out all the data it gathers to Microsoft occasionally. The purpose of gathering this information is to improve user experience. With the information, Microsoft strives to repair any potential problems.
The advantages of the Compatibility Telemetry function include:
- Microsoft can upgrade all the features of Windows 10
- Assists enable the operating system to be reliable, safe and high performing even under difficult circumstances
- Personalizes all the os’s engagement surfaces
- Utilizes aggregate analysis to boost performance
Some examples of the telemetry data are broad in what it collects, include the following:
- Text typed on your keyboard, which is communicated every 30 minutes.
- The transcripts of tape-recorded audio, which includes your conversations with Cortana and all media file indices.
- The very first time you enable your web cam for the first time, 35mb of details is sent out.
The telemetry service is optional and was likewise a part of Windows 8 and Windows 7 after specific upgrades. The telemetry service is offered via a diagnostic tracking service. Periodically, your system triggers the telemetry by default. It begins using up a substantial part of your CPU, decreasing the system entirely. Fortunately, this guide will assist you disable the feature so it won’t take in all your processing power. Here are 4 ways in which you can get rid of it.
Update Device Drivers
Upgrading the device drivers is a reliable method to deal with the Microsoft Windows compatibility telemetry problem. You can update the drivers either manually by checking out the manufacturer’s site and following the instructions discovered there or by using the driver update application found on your computer system. To do the latter, follow these steps:
Step 1 : Type Device Manager into the Search box.
Step 2 : In the device manager window, right-click on the driver device you wish to upgrade and select the Properties choice from the window.
Step 3 : Click on the Driver tab and choose Update Driver
Step 4 : When you are completed updating the drivers, you require to reboot the system. The chauffeur will be set up instantly as the system reboots.
Use the Services Manager
Here are the steps for this approach:
Step 1 : Click Windows Key + R button simultaneously. The Run command window will appear on the screen. Enter services.msc in the open command box, and click OK.
Step 2 : Doing so takes you to the Services Manager window. Search for Connected User Experiences and Telemetry and right-click on it. Pick Properties from the dropdown list.
Step 3 : Now click Stop to stop the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry and pick Disabled from the drop-down menu.
Step 4 : Click Apply and after that OK. This will disable Microsoft compatibility telemetry. As soon as you have actually completed the above steps, visit the Task Manager window to inspect if it was successful or not. If the problem continues, go to the next action.
Clean up Running Memory
Try this technique, if the above methods do not work. If the PC is still running sluggish, you can tidy up the running memory to speed the computer system. Tidying up your running memory will reduce the disk use space, and your PC will run faster.
Step 1 : Type Disk Cleanup into the search bar and select that app.
Step 2 : Choose the drive where Windows is installed, which is normally C: and after that pick OK.
Step 3 : Make certain Temporary Internet Files is significant and click OK.
Step 4 : After finishing the above steps, restart the Windows 10 os. Then you can open Task Manager and check if the disk use is back to regular.
Use Registry Editor
Modifying the Computer registry ought to only be done by advanced users, and it should be made with extreme care. If you still have not resolved your issue, here are the steps you should use to edit the Windows registry on your computer so you can correct the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry CPU usage issue:.
Step 1 : Press the Windows Key + R to open the Run window. Get in regedit in the command box and click OK.
Step 2 : Click ‘Yes’ when it asks for confirmation to make changes to the computer. In the Computer system registry editor, pick HKEY_ LOCAL_ MACHINE and click the Software file under it. Now, open the Policies folder under that.
Step 3 : After opening the Policies folder, discover Microsoft and pick the Windows folder.
Step 4 : Use the right-click choice on Data Collection. Select New and in the drop-down menu that appears select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Step 5 : Now name this brand-new worth AllowTelemetry. Double click the AllowTelemetry you just developed. Enter 0 under worth data and click OK.
resolve the problem is to disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry by Group Policy Editor.
- Press the Windows logo key + R crucial on the other hand, and the Run command window will appear. Type gpedit.msc and click OK, which opens windows Group Policy Editor :
- Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds :
- Select and double-click Allow Telemetry on the right panel :
- Select Disabled, then click OK to save the setting :
After doing the above, Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry will not work again, and your computer system will not be slow again by the reason of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry.
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry using CMD
Follow these easy steps to repair Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk usage issue by utilizing command timely (CMD) in Windows 10.
- Type CMD into the Search box and click Run as Administrator
- Now simply copy and paste the following command on your cmd admin screen and hit get in after every command.
sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Disable Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry by Deleting ‘CompatTellRunner.exe’ with owner rights
To do this you need to go through the following actions.
- Visit to your computer system as administrator. To do that, you simply need to sign in from a user account with administrative advantages.
- When you see the desktop, press Windows Key + R to open Run dialogue box.
- Type C:Windows\System32 and hit Get in. Instead of pressing Enter upon the keyboard, you can simply click OK using your mouse.
- A directory site window will appear. Here all your system applies for Windows OS lie. Discover the file called CompatTelRunner.Now as in the picture below, best click CompatTelRunner file and choose properties.
- As soon as the Properties discussion box opens, simply click the Security tab from the top. When inside the Security tab, locate Advanced settings at the bottom. Click it.
- A new window will appear. Locate the Owner tab at the top in this window.
- Now locate Edit at the bottom after clicking the Owner tab. Click Edit.
- When you see the Edit window, select Administrators and click Apply. Now conserve your changes by clicking OK.
- Here, you may see a prompt asking you to close all the Properties windows. Click OK. You have actually effectively taken the ownership of this file.
- Before you can delete this file, you likewise need to alter permission for the file. To do that, merely right on Capattelrunner.exe from System32 folder that you opened in the action 4.
- Click on Residence and go to Advanced tab just as you did earlier. Select Permissions tab from here and pick your administrator account in the next window.
- Now click the Enable column next to Complete Control. It ought to offer you all permissions associated with this specific file. That’s what we need in order to delete this file.
- Now return to the System32 folder and just delete the CompatTelRunner.exe file to switch off compatibility telemetry.
- Lastly, right-click on the recycle bin and choose Empty the Recycle Bin.
That’s it. Now you have actually effectively deleted the CompatTelRunner.exe file. The problem you were confronting with Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk use must be resolved.
If you can’t follow this approach for some reason, dive to the next technique to solve Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry high disk use issue.
Disable Compatteltunner.exe from Task Scheduler
By using this approach, you merely disable compatteltunner.exe. This file is an executable that runs the Windows Compatibility Telemetry. So, if it’s disabled, you will not have personal privacy or disk area issues.
To disable this executable file, simply follow the steps provided listed below.
- Hold the Windows Keys + R essential together. The Run window will appear.
- Type taskschd.msc and hit get in or click OK.
- It will bring up the Task Scheduler window. Here, you will Task Scheduler Library at the top. Click it to expand its view.
- Now you ought to be able to see a folder called Microsoft. Click it to broaden it. You should have the ability to see a Windows folder now. Broaden this folder as well.
- Locate Application Experience folder and click it. It ought to open a new window where you will see some tasks.
- Locate the task that is listed as microsoft compatibility telemetry. Right click on it and disable it. This will switch off compatibility telemetry.
- That’s it. Close the Task Scheduler and restart your computer system.
The above techniques are easy to execute and assist solve Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry problems effectively. With disk space cleared up, you will experience faster PC performance, which will accelerate your work.
Source : techloris.com diskgenius.com itechgyan.com