Overview at A Glance
The HP Officejet Pro 8720 is an all-in-one printer designed for small to medium businesses and home offices. The HP Officejet Pro 8720 was released on September 15, 2015. It promises fast printing speeds, excellent quality, versatility, and cost-effectiveness. This printer stands out in its class for its wide range of features and functions, making it an attractive choice for users who need a reliable and efficient machine for their daily printing needs.
HP’s Officejet Pro 8720 has a sleek and stylish printer that is capable of printing, scanning, copying, and faxing documents quickly and efficiently. It also features a 4.3-inch color touchscreen that allows you to easily access and control the printer’s settings.
Design and Build Quality
The HP Officejet Pro 8720 boasts a sleek and modern design that’s perfect for the modern office. It has smooth lines, rounded corners, and a professional black finish that gives it a sophisticated look. Despite its robust construction, it’s still relatively compact and doesn’t take up too much desk space.
The printer’s exterior is crafted with attention to detail, featuring clean lines and a professional finish. The combination of matte and glossy surfaces adds a touch of elegance to its overall aesthetic. The compact design does not compromise functionality, as the printer offers a wide range of features and capabilities.
One of the notable design aspects of the Officejet Pro 8720 is its intuitive control panel, strategically placed for easy access. The control panel incorporates a responsive touchscreen display, providing a user-friendly interface for effortless navigation and operation. Users can quickly access various functions, settings, and menu options, enhancing productivity and convenience.
The build quality of the Officejet Pro 8720 is exceptional, ensuring durability and longevity. The printer is constructed using high-quality materials, resulting in a robust and reliable device that can withstand the demands of daily office use. Its solid construction provides stability and minimizes vibrations during operation, contributing to consistently high-quality prints.
The input and output trays are designed to handle various paper sizes and types efficiently. The input tray has a generous capacity, allowing for extended periods of uninterrupted printing. Additionally, the output tray includes an extension, preventing papers from spilling onto the floor or getting scattered.
HP has also incorporated thoughtful design elements to facilitate maintenance and serviceability. The access panels and compartments are strategically placed, making it easy to replace ink cartridges, clear paper jams, and perform routine maintenance tasks. The printer’s modular design simplifies troubleshooting and minimizes downtime.
Equipped with HP’s advanced printing technology, the Officejet Pro 8720 delivers exceptional print quality with crisp text and vibrant graphics. With a printing speed of up to 24 pages per minute (ppm) for black and white and 20 ppm for color documents, this printer saves valuable time, especially during high-volume printing tasks. The automatic duplex printing feature further enhances efficiency by enabling double-sided printing, reducing paper usage and costs.
Scanning, Copying, and Faxing
In addition to its printing capabilities, the Officejet Pro 8720 offers versatile scanning, copying, and faxing functionalities. The built-in flatbed scanner delivers sharp and detailed scans, while the automatic document feeder (ADF) simplifies the scanning and copying process for multi-page documents. The integrated fax function allows you to send and receive faxes directly from the printer, streamlining communication within your business.
The HP Officejet Pro 8720 offers versatile scanning, copying, and faxing capabilities to meet your business needs. These are how you can use these functions:
- Place the document you want to scan face-down on the scanner glass or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if it has multiple pages.
- On the printer’s control panel, select the “Scan” option or navigate to the scanning menu.
- Choose the scan settings such as file format (PDF, JPEG, etc.), resolution, and color options.
- Select the destination where you want to save the scanned document, such as a computer, email, USB drive, or network folder.
- Start the scan by pressing the “Scan” button or a similar designated button on the control panel.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete, and the scanned document will be saved to the selected destination.
- Place the document you want to copy face-down on the scanner glass or load it into the ADF for multiple pages.
- On the printer’s control panel, select the “Copy” option or navigate to the copying menu.
- Adjust the copy settings such as the number of copies, paper size, and color options if applicable.
- Choose any additional settings like resizing or collating the copies if desired.
- Press the “Start” button or a similar designated button to begin the copying process.
- The printer will scan the document and print the desired number of copies.
- Ensure that the Officejet Pro 8720 is connected to a telephone line for faxing.
- Place the document you want to fax face-down on the scanner glass or load it into the ADF for multiple pages.
- On the printer’s control panel, select the “Fax” option or navigate to the faxing menu.
- Use the numeric keypad on the control panel to enter the recipient’s fax number. You may need to include any necessary dialing prefixes or extensions.
- If required, adjust the fax settings such as resolution, contrast, and the number of retries for sending the fax.
- If you have multiple documents to fax, you can use the ADF to feed them automatically, or manually place each document on the scanner glass.
- Once you have prepared the document(s) and set the desired fax settings, press the “Start” button or a similar designated button to initiate the fax transmission.
- The Officejet Pro 8720 will dial the recipient’s fax number and send the document(s) electronically over the telephone line.
- The printer will display a confirmation or status message indicating whether the fax was successfully sent or if there were any issues encountered during the transmission.
- If you receive a fax, the Officejet Pro 8720 will automatically detect the incoming fax signal and begin receiving the document. It will then print a copy of the received fax.
Note: Ensure that you have correctly configured the fax settings, including your business name, fax header, and other relevant information, to appear on the fax cover page if desired. Refer to the printer’s user manual for detailed instructions on configuring fax settings and troubleshooting any fax-related issues.
Connectivity and Mobile Printing
With various connectivity options, including USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and NFC, the Officejet Pro 8720 ensures seamless integration into your office network. You can easily print documents from your computer or mobile devices through HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint, Mopria, or direct wireless printing. The HP Smart app provides additional convenience by allowing you to manage and monitor the printer remotely, ensuring optimal productivity even when you’re away from the office.
Cost Efficiency and Environmental Sustainability
The Officejet Pro 8720 incorporates HP’s innovative PageWide technology, which reduces printing costs while maintaining superior quality. With high-capacity ink cartridges, this printer offers significant cost savings compared to traditional inkjet printers. Moreover, it is ENERGY STAR® certified, consuming less power during operation and contributing to a greener office environment.
Security and Management
HP prioritizes data security, and the Officejet Pro 8720 is equipped with robust security features to protect sensitive information. With secure printing options and built-in encryption, you can rest assured that your data is safe from unauthorized access. The HP Web Jetadmin feature allows centralized management of multiple printers, simplifying device configuration and monitoring for efficient fleet management.
HP Officejet Pro 8720’s Specifications
|Printing Technology||HP Thermal Inkjet|
|Print Speed||Up to 24 ppm for black and white, up to 20 ppm for color|
|Resolution||Up to 4800 x 1200 optimized dpi|
|Monthly Duty Cycle||Up to 30,000 pages|
|Paper Handling||250-sheet input tray, 150-sheet output tray, automatic duplexing, automatic feeder|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, NFC, HP Smart App, AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, Wi-Fi Direct|
|Dimensions||19.7 x 20.9 x 13.4 inches|
|Operating Systems||Windows, Mac, Linux|
|Ink Cartridges||HP 952, 952XL (Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow)|
|Display||4.3-inch color touchscreen|
|Power Consumption||35 watts (printing), 3.3 watts (standby), 0.14 watts (manual-off)|
How to Set Up Officejet Pro 8720
Setting up the HP Officejet Pro 8720 is a straightforward process. Follow the steps below to get your printer up and running:
Unboxing and Initial Setup
- Start by unboxing the Officejet Pro 8720 and remove all packaging materials.
- Plug the printer into a power outlet after connecting the power cord to it.
- Power on the printer by pressing the power button.
- Select your language and region using the printer’s control panel.
Installing Ink Cartridges
- Open the ink cartridge access door located on the front of the printer.
- Take the ink cartridges’ protective tape off.
- Insert the ink cartridges into their respective slots, ensuring they are securely installed.
- Close the ink cartridge access door.
- Slide out the paper input tray located at the bottom of the printer.
- Adjust the paper guides to fit the size of the paper you will be using.
- Load a stack of paper into the tray, aligning the edges and ensuring it is not exceeding the maximum capacity.
- Push the tray back into the printer until it clicks into place.
Connecting to a Network
- The Officejet Pro 8720 offers various connectivity options, including Ethernet, USB, and wireless.
- For a wired connection, connect one end of an Ethernet cable to the printer and the other end to your router or switch.
- For a wireless connection, navigate to the printer’s control panel and select “Wireless” or “Network” setup. To connect the printer to your Wi-Fi network, adhere to the on-screen instructions.
Installing Printer Software
- Insert the installation CD that came with the printer into your computer’s CD/DVD drive. If your computer doesn’t have a CD drive, you can download the software from the HP website.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the necessary printer software and drivers.
- During the installation, you may be prompted to choose between a USB or wireless connection. Select the appropriate option based on your preferred connectivity method.
Completing the Setup
- Once the software installation is complete, restart your computer if prompted.
- After restarting, your computer should recognize the Officejet Pro 8720 as a connected printer.
- Perform a test print to verify that the printer is functioning correctly.
Congratulations! Your HP Officejet Pro 8720 is now set up and ready to use. Refer to the printer’s user manual or the HP website for additional features and settings that you may want to explore.
Comparison Specs HP Officejet Pro 8720 vs 9025 vs 9015
Comparing the HP Officejet Pro 8720 to two other HP Officejet Pro printers:
|Specification||HP Officejet Pro 8720||HP Officejet Pro 9025||HP Officejet Pro 9015|
|Printing Technology||HP Thermal Inkjet||HP Thermal Inkjet||HP Thermal Inkjet|
|Print Speed||Up to 24 ppm (B/W)||Up to 24 ppm (B/W)||Up to 22 ppm (B/W)|
|Up to 20 ppm (color)||Up to 20 ppm (color)||Up to 18 ppm (color)|
|Resolution||Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi||Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi||Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi|
|Monthly Duty Cycle||Up to 30,000 pages||Up to 30,000 pages||Up to 25,000 pages|
|Paper Handling||250-sheet input tray||250-sheet input tray||250-sheet input tray|
|150-sheet output tray||100-sheet output tray||60-sheet output tray|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, NFC||Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, NFC||Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, Mobile Printing|
|Display||4.3-inch color touchscreen||2.7-inch color touchscreen||2.65-inch color touchscreen|
|Weight||33.02 lbs||26.14 lbs||20.39 lbs|
This table compares the HP Officejet Pro 8720 to the HP Officejet Pro 9025 and the HP Officejet Pro 9015. The table highlights key features such as printing technology, print speed, resolution, monthly duty cycle, paper handling, connectivity, display, and weight. Comparing these specs side by side will help you make an informed decision about which printer to choose based on your specific needs and preferences.
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 Driver Download
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series for Windows|
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series for Mac|
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series for Linux|
|HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer Full Driver|
To find and download the HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 driver, you can follow these steps:
- Open a web browser on your computer.
- Go to the official HP Support website. You can visit it by typing “support.hp.com” in the address bar and pressing Enter.
- Once you’re on the HP Support website, click on the “Software & Drivers” tab.
- In the “Enter a product name or number” field, type “OfficeJet Pro 8720” and press Enter or click on the “Let’s identify your product to get started” button and follow the on-screen prompts to select your printer model.
- After identifying your printer model, you’ll be directed to the drivers and software download page. Make sure the selected operating system is correct. If not, you can change it by clicking on the drop-down menu.
- Look for the “Driver” section and locate the appropriate driver for your operating system. Click on the “Download” button next to it.
- Depending on your web browser settings, you may be prompted to choose a download location or the file may start downloading automatically.
- Once the driver file is downloaded, locate it on your computer and double-click on it to start the installation process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of the driver.
After the driver is installed, you should be able to use your HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 printer with your computer. Remember to restart your computer if prompted to do so during the installation process.
Note: It’s always recommended to download drivers and software from the official manufacturer’s website to ensure compatibility and avoid potential security risks.
HP Officejet Pro 8720 Ink
The HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer uses four separate ink cartridges: black, cyan (blue), magenta (red), and yellow. These cartridges are typically referred to as HP 952 ink cartridges.
Here are the specific cartridge numbers for the HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer:
- Black: HP 952 Black Ink Cartridge (F6U15AN)
- Cyan: HP 952 Cyan Ink Cartridge (L0S49AN)
- Magenta: HP 952 Magenta Ink Cartridge (L0S52AN)
- Yellow: HP 952 Yellow Ink Cartridge (L0S55AN)
You can find these ink cartridges at various retailers, including office supply stores, electronics stores, and online marketplaces. It’s important to ensure that you purchase genuine HP ink cartridges to ensure optimal performance and quality.
When it’s time to replace the ink cartridges, open the printer’s front cover, remove the empty cartridges, and insert the new ones according to the color-coded labels and instructions provided by HP. It’s recommended to follow the printer’s manual for detailed instructions on how to replace the ink cartridges specific to your HP Officejet Pro 8720 printer model.
Remember to properly recycle or dispose of the empty ink cartridges in an environmentally friendly manner. Some cartridge manufacturers offer recycling programs or you can check with local recycling centers for proper disposal options.
The Pros & Cons of using the HP Officejet Pro 8720
|➕ High-quality printing and scanning||➖ Relatively large footprint|
|➕ Fast printing speeds||➖ Can be expensive upfront|
|➕ Duplex (double-sided) printing||➖ Occasional paper jamming issues|
|➕ Automatic document feeder (ADF)||➖ Some users report software glitches|
|➕ Wireless and mobile printing capabilities||➖ Higher ink costs compared to lasers|
|➕ Large paper capacity (up to 250 sheets)||➖ Limited media handling options|
|➕ Energy-efficient operation||➖ Lack of support for larger paper sizes|
These points should provide you with a quick overview of the advantages and disadvantages of using the HP Officejet Pro 8720. Keep in mind that individual experiences may vary, and it’s always a good idea to read reviews and gather more information before making a purchase decision.
Q1: How do I connect the HP Officejet Pro 8720 to my computer?
A1: The HP Officejet Pro 8720 can be connected to your computer using a USB cable or wirelessly. For a USB connection, simply connect one end of the USB cable to the printer and the other end to your computer. For a wireless connection, you can set up the printer using your Wi-Fi network and follow the on-screen instructions provided by the printer.
Q2: Can I print from my mobile device to the HP Officejet Pro 8720?
A2: Yes, the HP Officejet Pro 8720 supports mobile printing. You can use various methods, such as HP ePrint, Apple AirPrint, or the HP Smart app, to print documents and photos directly from your smartphone or tablet.
Q3: What is the recommended paper type and size for the HP Officejet Pro 8720?
A3: The HP Officejet Pro 8720 supports a variety of paper types, including plain paper, photo paper, and brochure paper. It can handle paper sizes ranging from letter (8.5 x 11 inches)
Q4: How do I replace the ink cartridges in the HP Officejet Pro 8720?
A4: To replace the ink cartridges, open the printer’s front cover, wait for the carriage to move to the center, and then remove the empty cartridge by pressing the tab on top. Take the new cartridge out of its packaging, remove the protective tape, and insert it into the corresponding slot. Close the front cover, and the printer will align the cartridges automatically.
Q5: How do I scan documents or photos with the HP Officejet Pro 8720?
A5: Place the document or photo face-down on the scanner glass or load it into the automatic document feeder (ADF) if you have multiple pages. From the printer’s control panel or the HP software on your computer, select the scan option and follow the prompts to choose the scan settings, such as resolution and file format. Start the scan, and the document will be saved to your specified location.
Q6: Does the HP Officejet Pro 8720 support duplex (double-sided) printing?
A6: Yes, the HP Officejet Pro 8720 has duplex printing capabilities, allowing you to print on both sides of the paper automatically. You can save paper and create professional-looking documents by enabling the duplex printing feature either through the printer’s control panel or the print settings on your computer.
Q7: What operating systems are compatible with the HP Officejet Pro 8720?
A7: The HP Officejet Pro 8720 is compatible with various operating systems, including Windows (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP SP3 or higher), macOS (OS X 10.11 El Capitan and later versions), and Linux. Ensure that you download and install the appropriate drivers and software for your specific operating system from the HP Support website.
I hope these FAQs provide you with helpful information about the HP Officejet Pro 8720. Please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.